Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Adventures in Stamping Earth Day

On April 22, tomorrow we take the time to raise awareness about environmental issues and transforming public attitudes.   Day by day we all see the earth being destroyed.  Trees being cut so a new high rise can go up.  Lakes being filled so a golf course can be built or the earth being dug up to make artificial lakes.  You know how hard it is to get REAL seafood.  Shrimp farms and fish farms are where we get our seafood and I live on the Gulf.  I remember when I was little we used to get shrimp the size of a small filet mignon.  Now, shrimp is barely the size of my pinkie.  We ate so much shrimp, I hate it now.  Let’s talk about the ozone.  When I was younger, you bellas know I grew up on the beach.  I did not use sunscreen and would not get sun burned, now granted I do have olive skin but my sister is lighter skinned and she never burned.  Now,  two hours in the sun without sunscreen we look like lobsters.  Also I do believe the magnetic field has changed because I think things just weigh more now than they did 30 years ago.  In high school the average weight of most of the girls was about 90-150.  I used to weigh between 90-95 lbs.  My nieces at the same age weigh about 120 and they are really skinny.  My husband and I have known each other since we were very young I was 12 and he was 14.  I asked him who he thought was thinner at the age of 14 my daughter or me.  He said my daughter was thinner but that our body’s were different.  He said I have a bigger booty and bigger boobs.  I said my daughter weighed 110 at the age of 14 and I weighed 95 so wtf?  Why is that?  Maybe I really don’t weigh what I weigh.  It is just weird.  The beaches are eroding.  We have less farmland.  Even the weather patterns are changing.  Now, some of this we have no control over but there are some things we do have control over.  Like recycling.  You bellas, know I am totally into recycling manicures but that is nothing.  We can recycle at home boxes, cans, and foil. Plant a tree.  My parents did that for me and my sisters.  The tree they planted for me.   They planted it in 1996.  We were living in a house that had a small tree growing.   It was a twig.  It was about four inches high.  Then they went and bought one for my younger sisters and planted them.  You know what after three hurricanes and various weather happenings my tree is the only one that stands.  My mom tell me that I am her strong one and always refers to that tree.  Oh, crap.  I just made myself cry.  I am sorry.  That was TMI.  I think you get the idea of just at least being aware and what just a few issues we have. 
So, here is my mani representing trees, water and animals.  I used 3 American Apparel polishes.  A beige one, that has no name, the Valley and denim blue.  I used my Winstonia plates and the DRK-C plate.
 
 
earth

 
earth3
 
earth8
 
earth9 
This is a close-up of the my thumb which represents the ocean that has been polluted by man just because, a horrible oil spill thanks to a drunk captain, and by dumping waste.  I remember all the oil spills they were horrible.  I can’t tell you how sad it is to see a beautiful pelican black because it came in contact with oil.  Trying to see them fly and they can’t fly right because of the weight on their body.  I could go on and on but I am likely to cry again.  So, if you don’t do anything.  Just be aware that these things are going on.  Do you want to know what you can do?  Go to www.earth.org and see what you can do.
 
Ciao for now,
Patty

No comments: